Friday, November 9, 2012

We are STILL America



Happy Friday.  We are three days post-election and this morning as I sat down with my bottle of Spark, I am happy to realize one thing:  I’m done with the “What the hell happened on Tuesday?” and feeling like I’ve got my feet under me again.  I don’t want to ask “What happened?” anymore.  I’m done with that.  We learned the hard way that when you put your faith and trust in man, you lose everything precious to you.  When you put your faith and trust in God, you have a fighting chance.  Now, it’s “This is what’s happening.  This is our story.  This is our goal.  This is the road we are on.  Join us or whine alone by the side of the road, but we’re moving on.”

Knowing myself, I know there will be down days and up days.  I’m not going to list links to stories of businesses that are closing because of the election.  We know they’re happening.  We don’t need to reiterate them or dwell on them or cause any further heartbreak to someone who’s being affected by them.  We need to gather around one another to encourage and help each other.  We need to remind one another that as long as we draw a breath, we are capable and able to reach for our goals and dreams.  True patriotic Americans will come up alongside a brother in distress and help.  We will show up with boxes of food.  We will share warm blankets and wood with those that are cold.  Our money still speaks volumes and if you see a company that is not being honest or righteous you can choose to buy elsewhere.  I like a latte as much as the next person, though I don’t drink them very often.  However, my days of ANYTHING Starbucks are over after the CEO of that company came out in support of O.  You want my money?  Should have supported someone different.  When I want a coffee I’ll go to a locally owned place not far from the house.  Support a local.  We have that power, you know.  We still have power.  Washington doesn’t want you to think so but it’s true.  We have the power of “no” and we have the power of our own legs carrying us where we need to go.  And we also have the power of bended knees and clasped hands and prayer.  And THAT power is mightier than anything a pen in Washington, DC can wield.

So, clean off the desk or the kitchen counter, or fold that last basket of clean laundry and thank God you have a washer and dryer if you have one.  If you still have a home, thank God for your kitchen and go make a good meal.  Get the vacuum cleaner out and thank God you still have carpets to clean.  When your kids are loud, don’t yell at them to be quiet, thank God you still have kids to keep you going, because they do that.  They keep you going.  Over the next few weeks I’m going over our house with a fine tooth comb and doing a final cleaning of things that weigh us down or we don’t need.  Streamlining our lives with as little baggage as possible is what we will be focusing on.  Let Washington have the baggage.  We don’t need it.  Remember that this is STILL America and no matter what they want to call us we will ALWAYS be Americans and it’s a blessing to be born in the greatest country man has ever known.  If down the road all we have is memories of what was, you’re still doing better than someone from Cuba or Venezuela or Russia or Iran.  Look at what they have to look back on.  We can remember how we started out, and NO one can tax that or take it from us.  EVER.  We are still AMERICANS.  Something most of the world has wished it could be. 

Now, get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment